What’s Ruby On Rails?
Before we get into the concept of Ruby on Rails, let us understand first what is Ruby and what is Rails? Ruby is the combination of Python’s easiness, Pearl’s expediency and Smalltalk’s beautifulness. Ruby is a high level programming language with easy to operate platform. Ruby is interpreted like Pearl, Python etc. It is object oriented like Java and Smalltalk. Ruby was born in Japan but now gaining popularity in US and Europe. Ruby is famous because of the following factors.
- – Easy to operate
- – Huge in-built Library
- – Open source with liberal license
- – Very much object oriented
- – Availability for the expansion
- – Less coding
- – Very helpful backend community
Now let us know little bit about the Rails as well.
Rails is the web application framework and it is highly productive in nature. Rails framework is written in Ruby by David Hansson. Rails ability to develop the ten times faster web application than we could with a Java framework makes it much popular amongst the developers. Also we could configure the code with Database schema with the help of the Rails framework. Rails comes with in-built features like Metaprogramming, Active Record, Built-in testing etc. which allow us to do our work with more productivity.
Ruby on Rails
As stated earlier Rails is the developing tool that provides the framework to the developers which is written in Ruby, a programming language which can be used alongside Rails. Ruby is appealing to the programmers because of its elegance and shortness. One of the key benefits of Ruby on Rails development is configuration. This applies than programmer doesn’t have to spend much time on configuring the files for set up, Rails is packed with the set of convention that helps speed up the set up.
Another characteristic of Rails is REST (Representational State Transfer). REST is a kind of software architecture based on the client-server relationship and encourages logical structure within the development which means they can be adopted easily on Application Programming Interface (API). The Ruby on Rails community recommends Agile Web Development for the Project Management. Agile Web Development is an iterative method which is suited for web application with faster changing environments.
Why Ruby on Rails?
- Ruby on Rails is a collection of short codes written in Ruby that lets you develop web applications very quickly. This is the handful framework for the newbie who would want quick build up.
- Ruby on Rails has got something in it that is why big corporate players like Basecamp, Groupon, Square and Yammer etc can rely on it.
- There are more jobs available for the developers of Java, PHP but in terms of working at a start up, Ruby on Rails developers are the hardest people to find.
- Unlike other languages, Ruby on Rails covers both front end and back end. One can easily build up the website without relying upon the others for back end support.
- With the largest community, Ruby on Rails has much experienced support staff that would be there to support you when you need them.
- Ruby on Rails CMS is very user friendly especially for the beginners.
- Online resources for learning the Ruby on Rails are available easily.
- While working on the Ruby on Rails, you don’t have to worry about the Colon, Space and Parenthesis etc. It knows everything you meant. So it attracts beginner the most.
- In Ruby on Rails, you don’t need to know about any SQL for using the database. This is the encouraging feature for the newcomers.
Ruby on Rails is for Whom?
Because of its flexibility, easy to use and short codes, Ruby on Rails is in demand in the market today. Best suits for Ruby on Rails are
- – eCommerce Sites – Ruby on Rails is faster, scaleable, requires less coding, has a ready to use plug-ins, it is more useful for eCommerce websites. Giant corporations like Ammabox, Groupon use Rails.
- – Difficult Websites – Membership websites, large forums which have a lot of traffic and increases day by day can run smoothly with Ruby on Rails.
- – Social Networking Websites – Websites with increasing social media traffic rely on Ruby on Rails.
- – Web Applications – Websites having personalized functionalities can be built reliably with Ruby on Rails.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Ruby on Rails.
Pros of Ruby on Rails
- – Built in features help us make more development in very less time. Ruby on Rails provides standard web application structure which takes care of common patterns for you.
- – Publicly available and easily searchable wide libraries.
- – Quality of coding is slightly higher in Ruby on Rails than its competitors like Php and JAVA.
- – Valuable in-built functionality of automation and testing will ensure the best quality of web application.
- – Larges Ruby on Rails community in almost every big city will take care of your queries.
- – Generally one can find the sincerity and discipline in the developers who are using Ruby on Rails for their web development.
- – Ruby is the brief but accurate language which when connected with the third party libraries, gives you tremendous performance in short span of time. Very productive language indeed.
- – The process of programming is faster because of Ruby’s object oriented nature and the availability of open source code within the Rails.
- – Ruby’s code is very accurate and readable which saves the time for developers thus resulting in high productive work.
Cons of Ruby on Rails
- – Runtime Speed is slow for Ruby on Rails compared to the other languages.
- – The most common frustrating thing one can hear from the developers is the boot speed of Rails framework. Rails will take more time to reboot than you think it would and this may end up in lower performance of the developer.
- – Multi threading is supported by Rails. This means if you are not alert enough, your active request will be queued and this will impact badly on your performance.
- – Java and PHP are widely used language around the world today so there are more developers in these languages. Technical support might not be available easily for Ruby on Rails as compared to PHP and JAVA.
- – One of the biggest disadvantages of this language is that not all website hosts support Ruby on Rails.
Why to choose Ruby on Rails Hosting?
Popularity of Ruby on Rails pushes the Web hosting providers to offer this hosting facility to their customers with best deal. If you are required to have dedicated server provider then you can easily find it since hosts with ruby on rails web hosting is popular today. Ruby on rails hosting service providers may offer you more efficiency on server, updated versions and pre-installed features.
You will be surprised to know that the basic package of ruby on rails is consistent with price of traditional hosting package. Basic package starts at $5 per month which is very reasonable.
The Best Ruby on Rails CMS.
Let us first understand the CMS (Content Management System).
A content management system (CMS) is the programme that is used to write, publish or manage the content. CMS is used for high traffic websites, blogs or big corporate websites because they want to avoid the hand written coding and would want an easy user interface. To use the CMS you don’t want to have the knowledge about any programming language and this is the main reason for its popularity. CMS provides a platform which controls and manages the content on your website. Thus, a newcomer can use it very easily without worrying about the language on which CMS is created.
CMS could be created by so many programming languages and Ruby on Rails is one of them. It is an open source web application framework which allows you to create new pages, sends query to the database and handles the template. It also provides the user friendly interface which helps newcomers to do their work without worrying about the programming languages.
Ruby on Rails Content Management System (CMS) offers various functionalities to manage your website content very easily. Mentioned below are the best Ruby on Rails CMS which will help you to increase your productivity and also lets you save time.