Best PostgreSQL database Hosting service provider Reviews 2017
SiteGround is established by a few university friends in 2004. SiteGround gently but steadily turned into a leading web hosting service provider. Now the company has approx 90 employees and is still growing. They expanded their data centers into Europe in 2012, starting at Amsterdam. The company is constructed only to provide top-notch customer support and high performance shared hosting services. The shared hosting accounts contain Softaculous and cPanel so managing your account is easy. PostgreSQL is supported out of the box at on all plans, so you don’t have to worry about that.
Their starting Price is $3.95/month
- Free Domain Name
- 99.99% Uptime Guarantee
- cPanel & SSH Access
- Free Setup & Transfer
- 24/7 Technical Support
- Free Daily Backup
- 30 Days Money Back
- Unlimited Traffic, Emails, DBs
- Free CloudFlare CDN
A2 Hosting is based in Ann Arbor. A2 has a lot to provide both the VPS and shared hosting customer. They position themselves as a cutting-edge provider. It is no surprise that PostgreSQL is supported out of the box on both their shared hosting and on VPS plans. They were among the first to provide SSD storage in shared hosting and claim they are up to 300% faster than mechanical disks. This is easy to believe, as old-fashioned rotating disks are on their way out. They boldly say that they are faster than the others and name many big name competitors.
Their starting Price is $5.99/month
- 99.99% Uptime Guarantee
- FutureServe Green Hosting
- Risk Free Money Back Guarantee
- SSD Hosting
- SwiftServers Fast Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
Eleven2 is established in 2002 and headquartered in Los Angeles. They have datacenters in London, Dallas and Singapore. You choose your datacenter when you sign up. This way, you protect that your websites are on a server close to your target audience. By having a website physically close to people improves the page loading times. Eleven2 is a full-featured hosting provider. They have good plans for VPS, Shared, Dedicated and Reseller hosting. Their service is backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee, double the industry normal. Their PostgreSQL support is out of the box and it’s amazing.
Their starting Price is $4.95/month
- Free SiteBuilder
- Free Software Installer
- 24×7 Premium Technical Support
- Free Site Migrations
- Telephone Tech Support
- 24×7 Award Winning Support
- Free Daily Backups
- Redundant Network & Power
- Free & Unlimited E-Mail Accounts
- FTP & SFTP Available
Arvixe is a leading hosting provider with a many of packages, types and options of hosting services. They provide different types of shared hosting also Reseller, VPS and Dedicated hosting. PostgreSQL is available on their Linux-based plans and is out of the box. Arxvie has two categories of shared hosting, with two plans to pick from in each. Personal Class plans are for small websites, while Business Class plans have more server resources. Business Class customers get a dedicated IP address and a free SSL certificate so you can host e-commerce sites. These are optional extras in Personal Class shared hosting.
Their starting Price is $4/month
- Website Panel CP (VM Mgmt)
- Free Domain Reseller Account
- Unlimited Hosting Accounts
- Free SSL Certificate For Life
- Unlimited Email Auto responders
- Unlimited Domain Aliases
- Unlimited Sub domains
- Unlimited FTP Accounts
- Cost Effective for resource intensive applications
- Flexible hard drive space including 150, 200 and 300 GB
- Unlimited Data Transfer
- More cores than traditional hosting for extra computing power
- Freedom to scale up and down as resources are needed
Bluehost is a leading hosting provider with a many of packages, types and options of hosting services. They provide different types of shared hosting also Reseller, VPS and Dedicated hosting. PostgreSQL is available on their Linux-based plans and is out of the box.
Their starting Price is $14.99/month
- SAN powered devices for 99.99% server & storage uptime.
- 24×7 Managed Support to help you instantly setup your server.
- OS Options: CentOS 6/Ubuntu 12 & Parallels Virtuozzo
- Raid DP for error-correcting storage
- Support you can depend upon, available 365-24-7
Inmotion Hostings state-of-the-art Linux SSD VPS Hosting servers come equipped with an arsenal of features, including a cloud-powered infrastructure built for real time redundancy, free server management, a free cPanel license, CentOS and LAMP stack, live-state snapshots and much more. Find out why designers, developers and business owners are moving to InMotion Hosting for their VPS Hosting needs.
Their starting Price is $29.99/month
- Resource Monitoring Dashboard
- Unlimited Domains and Websites
- Free Solid-State Drives
- Custom Advanced Policy Firewall
- SSH Access
- eCommerce Optimized
- Optional Root Access
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- Unlimited MySQL Databases
- Reseller Access with WHM
A Small Orange is not your average web hosting company. They don’t believe in offering you “unlimited plans” that actually require costly upgrades in order to meet your expectations and requirements. They believe that you should only pay for the resources that you need, period.
Their starting Price is $25/month
- Enterprise quality hardware
- World-class datacenters
- Full root access
- 24/7/365 Expert Support Based in the USA
Dreamhost is a Los Angeles based web hosting and domain name registrar. It is the cloud computing and web hosting business owned by New Dream Network, LLC. The company doesn’t offer call-in phone support, but you can pay extra to request callbacks from support staff. Also, a live chat option is available for all accounts when the level of support emails is low. This option is available for clients that pay the monthly fee for callbacks. It hosts in excess approx one million domains.
Their starting Price is $15/month
- 30GB SSD Storage
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Unlimited Domains
Liquid Web owns and operates three private data centers. By owning our data centers rather than leasing, we are able to design, build and maintain an ideal server environment. This allows us to provide our clients fast, secure, and reliable performance. With over 15 years of experience and 24/7/365 on-site Heroic Support® technicians at state-of-the-art data centers, we’re the perfect match for web hosting needs big or small, managed or unmanaged, dedicated, shared, vps, or cloud.
Their starting Price is $15/month
- 1.0 GB Memory
- 50 GB SSD Disk Space
Introducing VPS done right. Hostmonster design and build their VPS servers from the ground up to break barriers. So when it comes to speed, you’re covered. And by utilizing advanced cloud technology like OpenStack and KVM, we set the stage to continuously upgrade and enhance your servers so they are always ahead of the curve.
Their starting Price is $14.99/month
- Dual Core
- 2 GB RAM
- 30 GB
- 1 TB/month
- Free Domain Name
- 1 IP
- CentOS 6.5 (64-bit)
What is Database?
Before we go ahead and get the knowledge of MySQL or PostgreSQL, let’s take a look at the database first. Database will let you learn these SQLs easily.
As far as computers are concerned, a database is just a storage of data. It collects and stores the data entered by the user. Database organizes all the data so nicely that when you want it, you will get it within no time. MySQL is the language or programme that helps you retrieve the data from the database. Let’s understand it by an example. Suppose you would have hundreds of thousands of files stored on the computer named a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i…so on. Now when you would want to open it, there will be a possibility that you might get confused which file to open? This method of storing and retrieving the file from computer is old fashioned of course but still numerous file with same extension will make you confused.
Storing and organizing the files is a very disciplinary task. There are many search options available that help you in fetching the files of your choice. But once you have got the lots of data stored on your computer then you will finally lack the proper system for finding the data. Availing the correct data is very time consuming operation and it will become tedious when data grows.
Now here database comes into picture. A database is a computer application that handles the data and will let you get it when you need it. With such a smart software you can have the lots of information about the customers like his name, addresses, contact nos, company name etc. Storing and retrieving the data becomes very professional.
What is PostgreSQL?
PostgreSQL is an advanced open source object-relational database management system. PostgreSQL was designed and developed at Berkeley Computer Science Department, University of California. PostgreSQL was originally made to run on UNIX like platforms, however it was made portable to run on various platforms like Windows, MAC etc. PostgreSQL was developed to compete with the two already famous applications like MySQL and MS SQL, Linux and Windows based database management system respectively. Apart from the basic HTML site, everything is using a database for storing their essential data. Nowadays this open source rational database management system grows in popularity and availability. PostgreSQL has the tremendous support from both the developers and hosts.
SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. Do I need to know about all of them?
More and more computer applications are booming nowadays like blogs, websites with images and content management systems which require database for storing and retrieving the data. For example, for a blogging site you need to writes an article or blog or post and store it. When user comes to your site you need to fetch that post for him. Similarly for a website with lots of images, you must need to store all of them on database so that user visits your site and can rank the image or reply to the particular image thus making your site more user friendly.
To make it easy for the user to get the access of the database, many database support a unique language called “SQL”. This language is specially designed to fulfil the above mentioned purpose. Low level database uses SQL language to handle the database with very less data.
Many other languages are there to support this functionality with high quality of result. MySQL and PostgreSQL are this type of languages which can be used in a highly complex database for quick and quality result. MySQL and PostgreSQL are very popular among the users that run on websites may be because they are free and reliable that is why we might get both of them advertised together in web host’s feature list. They are listed as one of the basic requirements for hosting the websites.
Don’t get confused about them. Don’t even get concerned about the pros and cons of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL as far as you are the web master who wants his site run smoothly and speedily. All the hosts today provide the MySQL or PostgreSQL as a part of their web hosting plan so you need not worry about it at all.
Features of PostSQL.
PostgreSQL comes with many advanced features, such as:
- PostgreSQL studio is compatible with all the versions of PostgreSQL.
- PostgreSQL run on all the platform. Be it Windows, Linux, Unix or MAC. It is very easy to install. Just put the war file your Servlet container and you are ready to go.
- PostgreSQL run on your browser using HTTP/S connection. That means you are putting your Postgre studio behind firewall and you can access it without opening it in front of the world.
- PostgreSQL schema browser provides an easy way for navigation. Your selected schema are seen on the currently active connection.
- PostgreSQL browser is very much active and let you see each database object’s features and modification functionality as well.
- PostgreSQL worksheet provides all the SQL statements individually during a database session.
- PostgreSQL lets you create various database objects without even knowing them. Just click on the wizard you want to create and that is it.
What makes PostgreSQL unique?
Multi version concurrency control is first offered by PostgreSQL database, even before the Oracle did. PostgreSQL is an object-relational database management system. It allows you to add additional functional developed by other languages like C, C++, JAVA etc. PostgreSQL is very flexible in nature. It allows you to define your own data types, index types and languages. And if you don’t like the added functions or any part of the system then you can always use the plug in to enhance your requirements.
MySQL might be popular in blogging sites, PostgreSQL has become the popular among the database developers. PostgreSQL is used for commercial websites because of its flexibility, power and easy to use. Giant MNCs like Skype, Cloudflare and oDesk place their gigantic data on PostgreSQL. Theirs millions of revenue is dependent on PostgreSQL for the database management. PostgreSQL is uses to manage all types of data from each and every industries ranging from Space to medical, electronic to mechanical.
Of course there is an excellent support team too which is always ready to assist you when you need them. You can always find an answer from the PostgreSQL’s community for the issue you might get while working with PostgreSQL.
Who would use PostgreSQL? It is for me too?
There are many companies which use PostgreSQL for database management like Apple, Cloudflare, Skype to name a few. As i said PostgresQL’s flexibility and powerful performance make it user friendly and also make it popular among the big players. To go or not to go with PostgreSQL is totally up to you. It is you only who would think what the best option for your business is. But as mentioned earlier, of you are a blogger then MySQL is the best option available for you but if you run commercial site and want to sale the products you made, go for the PostgreSQL.
Pros and Cons of PostgreSQL.
- Advanced and superior optimizer compared to others. PostgreSQL shows its actual powerful performance in complex data storage.
- PostgreSQL comes with in-built binary storage. It functions well in storing the data.
- PostgreSQL supports cloud hosting with extra features clips, snapshots etc.
- PostgreSQL has Route Optimization Algorithms. It also has a very comprehensive library and a framework support. Very difficult to find a single framework that doesn’t support PostgreSQL.
- Very committed support team which is always there to help you when you need them.
- PostgreSQL solves your all the data related problems thoroughly without any halt and disruptions unlike the others.
- If you are the beginner, installation and configuration will be difficult for you.
- Command line of PostgreSQL will seem new to you if your back ground is MySQL. You should get a cheatsheet for commands.
- Features are so deep and wide that it seems like it takes too much time to get used to them. So have patience.
- Hosting with PostgreSQL can be costly as compared to MySQL. Many low budget hosting providers support MySQL but not PostgreSQL.
- Many open source applications support MySQL but may not support PostgreSQL.